Monday, June 30, 2008

Invitation Design Anxiety and several digressions

I worked most of the weekend on my invitation designs, trying like hell to meet my self-imposed June 30th deadline to get the files ready to have my letterpress plates made. This is, of course, after being a complete bum throughout June, where my biggest accomplishment was lifting up the sofa cushion to discover 6 (SIX!) lighters that had fallen down there over the past few months, prompting Sunny to regularly ask me, "Denna, where's my lighter?" I've come to the realization that I have been secretly stressing over the invitation designs all month, and as a result, completely avoided working on them; choosing to throw myself into couchpotatoing instead.
But, I'm happy to report that, thanks to this beautiful 72-degree weekend, most of which I spent hunched over my computer, they are 98% done and I am pretty pleased with them. This is an early sketch of the invitation design as a teaser. Sorry, no pictures, I want them to be a surprise to someone! (I've already shown too many people)!
I also ordered the paper (from InviteSite) and various stationery detritus today, which was exciting, and actually not too expensive. Well, relatively so. Let's just say it will still put a pretty big dent in the ol' stimulus check, which incidentally, is not due to arrive until mid-July thanks to my no good social security number which ends in "98", leaving it to be delivered pretty much dead last (followed only by the poor saps with SSNs ending in "99").
But, back to the invitations: to do the letterpressing, I'll be working with a local designer and friend of a friend at Sensura Studio. She does awesome work and has a complete print studio, including a couple of very old presses. I'm going to have to fit that work in on a mythical weekend in July or August that is free from traveling. I've got a lot of fun stuff planned over the next month, including an awesome vacation with all kinds of Seuberts, McCoyds and Foys :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shwant to see the invitation! But I can wait. kinda sounds like me during the month of june a lot of couchpotatoing =)

nickmain said...

We're all looking at your blog at the brown bag (and Sharon's making snarky comments)

Diana and Sunny said...

brownbag-worthy blogging! Score!

Anya-mind said...

yes, yes, your June sounds a lot like min,e as well. i'm sure you can imagine what i've been doing most of my days...however i am taking another pottery class and i've already started making 5 new pots =].

Diana and Sunny said...

Hey Buz, you should post some pics of your pot-making to awholepuzzle!